Game Plan, Canada’s national athlete total wellness program, supports and empowers high-performance athletes to pursue excellence during and beyond their sporting careers. Taking a proactive approach to total athlete wellness, the program is designed to help athletes navigate change and focus on performing when it matters most. To learn more, please see our introduction section.
Game Plan was initiated in response to the needs identified by athletes, coaches and sport system stakeholders in the 2010 Olympic Games Debrief Report and the 2011 Business Report. For more detailed information on how these findings led to the development or creation of Game Plan, please see our history section.
In addition to the proven benefits listed in our Benefits for Athletes section, the enhanced Game Plan program is powered by the following drivers:
- Performance-enhancement: Supports transitioning athletes to achieve life-sport balance without compromising their sport-related goals.
- Expertise: Provides expert-driven resources to help athletes make informed decisions.
- Empowerment: Empowers athletes to proactively participate in and effectively manage their own career, education and personal development needs.
- Partnerships: Maximizes community-based and corporate partnerships to enhance delivery and financial sustainability of the national program.
- Engagement: Proactively engages athletes, coaches and sport organizations to make it easy to access Game Plan.
- Innovation: Continually strives to develop new and innovative ways to support the evolving needs of Canadian athletes.
Research suggests that engaging in non-sport activities, while actively training and competing, can actually help athletes achieve better results both in sport and in life. For a more detailed breakdown on the benefits of this balanced approach, view our Benefits for Athletes page.
To access Game Plan, an athlete must meet the criteria laid out in our Athlete Eligibility section.
Although Game Plan is still in its early stages of implementation, there are a number of existing services, resources and programs supporting career management, network development, access to education, skill development, and access to health resources available to eligible athletes across the COPSI Network. For a comprehensive list, please see our Resources section.
The COPSI Network delivers Game Plan in seven locations across Canada. Each hub leading Olympic and Paralympic training environments to elite athletes and coaches. To learn more about the services available in a particular region, visit the Our Team section and contact the dedicated program lead near you.
Your message has been sent!
Your message could not be sent